Thursday, March 26, 2009

5 Hours and 6 minutes later…

Yesterday I achieved a remarkable feat: I completed the Los Angeles Marathon. I set this goal back in January and quickly embarked into a couple of months of committed training.

While I went on my conditioning-runs I found myself alone with my thoughts. They ranged from simply getting home to whether or not I would someday actually finish 26.2 miles. But mainly I thought about my grandma. I dedicated all the training and the race to her. I thought about how awesome she was to me and how the love she gave me made me the person I want to be. On Monday I went out for her. I know she is proud of what I did, but I wish I could have seen her smile soon after crossing the finish line. I miss and love you grandma.

Also, I had my music while training. I learned that the right songs energizing my stride and, most importantly, having the right state of mind would help me reach the finish line. I spent a good deal of time setting up my soundtrack for race day. It had to be all High and no lows. I think I got it right.

I knew this was going to be tough. It was not only a test of my body, which I was not sure would hold up for the long distance, but also of my desire to accomplish something. After getting over the morning nervousness and while getting rid of some water in the bathroom, the horn sounded and we were off! The adrenaline kept me going for the initial miles but it faded after completing ten. From then on I knew the rest was up to me. Being my first marathon (and also the longest distance I’ve ever ran) I thought walking the short but steep uphills would be a good strategy. After briefly trying this it proved to be a faulty plan so I decided to simply run until my body gave out. Having only completed a 17-mile run during training, which I finished dehydrated and with terribly knee pain, I was not sure I was going to be able to stick to my considered approach. When I reached 15 miles I felt great. My knees were not hurting, my lungs were holding, and I was still sweating, all systems were go. Even after miles 18, 19 and 20 everything was going perfect, my mind was not about to be weaker than my body. I cruised through the last 5 miles with absolutely no problem, I simply kept thinking positively and telling myself that there was nothing between me and my finisher medal.


d

Crossing the finish line is proof this last 3 months have not been in vain. To quote a great fictional man “When you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything” Dr. Emmett Brown, Back To The Future.


11

The most awesome people ever!

I want to thank my family and friends, first and foremost the ones that made it to the race, you gals and guy are amazing!! And to all those that encouraged me during my training and that messaged and called me on Monday and today. Thank you so much for the support!!!

This link encompasses exactly how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment